In a globally connected world, employee obligations are not limited to a country’s borders as employees are increasingly globally mobile.
The legal and taxation requirements of globally mobile employees can be overwhelming for employers and employees alike, as companies are required to manage the remuneration and concomitant taxation of employees across multiple jurisdictions and comply with the legal requirements of each jurisdiction. The applicable legal regulations are numerous, complex in their interaction and subject to frequent change. The incorrect application of these regulations can be challenging and costly to rectify.
As a member firm of WTS Global, Renmere has a global reach enabling us to provide a truly multi-jurisdictional service offering. Our professionals offer extensive experience from international consulting firms and are proficient at managing multiple expatriate accounts.
Our comprehensive service offering includes:
- Taxation and related consulting services for both employers and their expatriate employees
- Local payroll assistance, including liaising with the home country payroll
- Optimal remuneration package structuring for expatriate employees
- Assistance with South African income tax residency and South African exchange control queries
- The interpretation and application of the terms of international treaties and
- Immigration services
South African employees’ tax legislation is becoming increasingly stringent and the compliance requirements increasingly complex. In addition, SARS levies punitive interest and penalty charges on employers who do not meet their obligations in this respect.
Whether an employer is a local business or a multinational corporation, all employers experience issues in navigating their employees’ tax obligations. Renmere’s assistance to employers to minimise these risks includes the following specialist services:
- Consulting services in respect of general employees’ tax queries
- Assistance with the drafting of employee contracts of employment from an employees’ tax perspective
- The identification of personal service providers, labour brokers and independent contractors, including the correct tax treatment of such individuals or entities
- Assistance with the implementation and management of tax efficient employee incentive plans
- Assistance with the preparation for and response to SARS employees’ tax audits
- Assistance with the practical aspects of all areas of employees’ tax compliance, for example monthly payroll services, the bi-annual employer reconciliation and the issuing of annual employees’ tax certificates